Cupcake Forum

Go Back   Cupcake Forum > Cupcakes > Cupcake Baking

Old 10-27-2013, 04:57 AM
Taste Tester

Send a message via AIM to Shaz
Default Freezing Cupcakes

I'm baking cupcakes in advance.. a few days before a party due to time. Do you have any tips for preparing them ahead of time? will they freeze ok? And then defrost on the day..

Any tips would be great...thank you.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Hi Shaz, welcome! Yes, you can definitely freeze cupcakes for a few days and then thaw them on the day of the party. A few things to keep in mind, though; if your cupcakes are low-fat or no fat, freezing won't work too well. Make sure your cupcakes are in a sealed container or wrapped in something, and if there's any possibility they're going to be in the freezer for much longer you should double-wrap them in plastic wrap and aluminum foil to try and prevent freezer burn. But most importantly, make sure you unwrap them before or during defrosting so condensation doesn't make them all soggy. Allow about an hour and a half to defrost.

Good luck with your party, and be sure to let us know how the cupcakes turned out!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Taste Tester

I agree, you can totally freeze cupcakes ahead of time. Just a couple more thoughts for you. First off, don't freeze them with filling or frosting. Freeze them in small batches - oddly enough, we've found that the larger batches become more moist as they expand/contract. I recommend freezing them in batches of 10 or so. Make sure that you seal them well while freezing (I might use a plastic bag for example). Finally, make sure that nothing is sticking to the top of the cupcakes when you thaw them - or else the tops might get ripped off. Hope this helps. Good luck with your cupcakes!
Old 05-02-2014, 05:26 PM
Better Baker

Yes, you can freeze them but before you frost them make sure that they are completely thawed. They loose that fresh taste, but most wedding cakes aren't fresh because of how long it takes to decorate them.