Cupcake Forum

Go Back   Cupcake Forum > Cupcakes > Cupcake Baking

Old 04-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Taste Tester

Question Marshmallow inside cupcakes

Hi,
I wondered if anyone could give me any tips? I'm currently experimenting with flavours for cupcakes and I want to make a chocolate marshmallow cupcake. I want the marshmallow to be in the centre of the cupcake so it oozes out when bitten into. I have tried a few different ways to do this, but everytime the marshmallow/marshmallow fluff is pushed to the top and forms a toasted crust on top. Does anyone have any suggestions other than adding the marshmallow once the cake is cooked?
Thanks
Old 04-23-2010, 06:02 AM
Taste Tester

Hi! I really don't think there is a way to fill a cupcake before it is cooked. We always fill cupcakes once they are done. You can take an apple corer or even just use a spoon to scoop out some of the cupcake, fill with the marshmallow fluff, and cover the cupcake back up with the cake you removed. Or you can do what we do which is use a bismark tip to fill cupcakes. You just jam the bismark tip into the cupcake and squeeze lightly until the tip begins to push back. Are you using marshmallow fluff straight out of the container or mixing it with butter and sugar? I find the below works well:

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup marshmallow fluff
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix all ingredients at medium speed until light and fluffy.

Last edited by Tellita; 04-23-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Administrator

This is going to be tricky, because the melting point of the gelatin in a marshmallow is only a little above body temperature. You could experiment with making your own marshmallows, changing the ratio of sugar/corn syrup/gelatin, but I imagine to get one that doesn't melt during baking you'd have to really increase the sugar content a lot until the texture was unrecognizable as a marshmallow.

Have you tried using old, dried-out marshmallows? Maybe if they don't have much moisture in them, they won't get so gooey.

If you really need a whole, soft marshmallow in the center of a cupcake, why not bore a cylinder through the top of the cupcake, insert marshmallow, cut off part of the bottom of the cylinder, place top of cupcake cylinder back on top, then frost over it?
Old 04-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Taste Tester

Thank for the ideas both of you, I will certainly try these ideas! This is the website I got the recipe from http://www.nigella.com/recipe/recipe...aspx?rid=12547 don't know why I had so many problems!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:44 AM
Administrator

Thanks for posting the recipe; it looks interesting, but in reading the comments it sounds like you're not the only person having problems! Good luck getting the perfect marshmallow cupcake
Old 06-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Taste Tester

The hummingbird bakery cookbook has a recipe which says that you should cook the cupcakes first, then while they're cooling melt some marshmallows in a pan, make a small hole in the cupcake and pour a small amount of the melted marshmallow mix in the top, leave to cool and then ice!