Cupcake Forum

Go Back   Cupcake Forum > General > Baking in General

Old 08-17-2014, 06:17 PM

Default Donut Muffins recipe

Are doughnuts or muffins the new cupcake? How 'bout a merger of the two? Recipe for "Doughnut Muffins" from King Arthur Flour:

Preheat the oven to 425F.

Lightly grease a standard-size muffin pan. Or line with 12 paper or silicone muffin cups, and grease the cups with non-stick vegetable oil spray; this will ensure that they peel off the muffins nicely.

Put the following in a mixing bowl:

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar

Beat until smooth. Add 2 large eggs; beat to combine.

Add the following:

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 to 1 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg, to taste
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Notice how I add each ingredient in its own separate space. That way, I can easily look into the bowl and immediately see if I’ve failed to add anything.

Beat until smooth – look how creamy this is getting. Part of it is the baking powder, starting to aerate the batter.

Next, you’re going to add 2 2/3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour; and 1 cup milk.

If you add the flour alternately with the milk (beginning and ending with the flour), the batter will retain more air.

Mixing at medium-low speed, add about 1/3 of the flour, half the milk, another 1/3 of the flour, the remaining milk, then the rest of the flour.

Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pan, filling the cups about 3/4 full; a muffin scoop works well here.
dough2

Bake the muffins for 15 to 17 minutes. They’ll rise quite vigorously. The finished muffins are a pale golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean.

Remove the muffins from the oven, and tilt them in the pan (to avoid steaming their bottoms). A fork is helpful here.

Let the muffins cool for a couple of minutes, or until you can handle them. While they’re cooling, melt 3 tablespoons butter for the topping (this is easily done in the microwave). Put 3 tablespoons cinnamon-sugar in a bowl.

Use a pastry brush to paint the top of each muffin with the butter. Or simply dip the tops of muffins into the melted butter, as I’m doing here, then dip/roll in the cinnamon sugar. Be generous.
Serve warm. Or cool on a rack, and wrap airtight.

Plain as it seems these muffins would be (considering their ingredients), the hint of nutmeg – plus the butter/cinnamon topping – simply shout DOUGHNUT.
A number of you have noted in the comments section below that you’ve made this recipe into mini muffins, a.k.a. doughnut holes. And I can testify – they’re wonderful!

Spoon the batter into greased mini-muffin cups, and reduce the baking time to 10 minutes. Roll each muffin entirely in butter and cinnamon-sugar to coat. You’ll make about 40 muffins, depending on the size of the wells in your pan; our mini muffin pan made 40 muffins.

Finally – want to make “real” doughnuts?

Spoon the batter into our lightly greased doughnut pan, filling the wells to about 1/4” shy of the rim; bake in a preheated 425F oven for 10 minutes; remove from the oven, and shake warm doughnuts in a bag of cinnamon-sugar (no dipping in butter necessary). The recipe makes 12 to 14 doughnuts, depending on how full you fill the wells in the pan, so you’ll have to bake in at least two batches (unless you have two pans).
Baked, not fried? Simply scrumptious.