Cupcake Forum

Go Back   Cupcake Forum > General > Baking in General

Old 06-19-2013, 08:52 AM

Default Recipe review: Chocolate chip Cupcakes with cookie dough frosting

From Brandy Designs: http://brandy-designs.blogspot.com/2...th-cookie.html
These turned out to be a better idea in theory than in practice. I dutifully followed the steps, and made the dough, only to discover at the end, that I had neglected to put the frozen filling in the middle of the cupcakes. Before or after I baked 'em? How much filling was I supposed to have set aside for this purpose and how long was I supposed to have frozen it? Apparently, I was also supposed to have added chocolate chips to the cupcake batter, frozen center, or both. Either I somehow missed it, or the recipe could have been better organized. Though it had said that it makes 24 cupcakes, the amount of dough I got seemed to promise more than that. I heaped high the cupcake cups and waited. They seemed to rise well enough in the oven, but exposed to a cool (relatively) nearly-summer night, their domed tops quickly fell upon removal from the oven, and, I was soon to discover, the sides shrank as they cooled in the muffin tins. I had been told by a Wilton Method cake decorating instructor that if you let cupcakes cool in the pans that caused them to shrink. I had _not_ found that true with the vast majority of cupcake recipes I made, but then the vast majority of cupcake recipes I have made were cupcakes intended as such, not cupcakes trying to be cookies.
When I tried to remove them from the pans, the dough turned out to be inordinately delicate. The tops which had overrun their brims and baked to the pans soon crumbled away when I tried to dislodge the bases, which also seemed to crumble with inordinate ease. Could I have forgotten an ingredient?
I took the suggestion to make the frosting while the cupcakes were baking. An eggless version of the chocolate chip cookie dough, it felt gritty, and might not have combined as well as it should have. "I taste salt", my sister said upon sampling it. My cupcake frosting was more fortunate. The cupcakes themselves tasted OK, (perhaps they would have been better had they had chips throughout, but I would have found 'em distracting). Perhaps the cupcakes would benefit from the use of heavier King Arthur white wheat flour, instead of standard white all-purpose flour?
Old 06-21-2013, 10:27 AM

Default recipe tryout: another variant of Cookie Dough Cupcakes w/Cookie Dough Frosting

http://tidymom.net/2011/cookie-dough...osting-recipe/
This variant of cookie dough cupcakes has a filling as well as a frosting. The cupcakes themselves were tricky. When I first baked them, I toothpick tested 'em, and when they came from the oven, the toothpick came out clean, so I thought we were good. But then, when i excavated the middles to put in the filling, the inner part of the cupcakes seemed more like custard than cupcake, so I put them back in the oven, only to have them come out crispy, cookie-like, and overbaked, but with the interior texture not improved. I had thought the previous batch of chocolate chip cookie cupcakes were oily, but after baking these, the cupcake cups were _swimming_ in oil. Attempting to eat them made your fingers greasy. So much for the cupcakes themselves.
However, the filling & the frosting have a lot more to recommend them. The filling recipe calls for a bit of condensed milk and is an eggless simulcrum of chocolate cookie dough which turns out to be similar in taste and texture to the "coookie dough bites" confection one can buy in movie theatres. (Attached pictures are of the filling in the middle of the cupcakes.)
The frosting, unlike the brown-sugar frosting on the previous batch of cupcakes, came out a very light brown and milder in taste and texture. My theory is that the addition of flour (this is the only chocolate chip cookie dough frosting recipe I've tried which has it) makes it closer to actual chocolate chip cookie dough than the other versions of chocolate chip cookie dough frosting I've made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_2.jpg (93.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_3.jpg (92.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-01-2016, 11:28 AM
Better Baker

yuuummm! love it