Cupcake Forum

Go Back   Cupcake Forum > Cupcakes > Cupcake Baking

Old 01-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Cupcake Crafter

Location: Stuttgart, Germany - but do not let that confuse you - I'm English!
Thumbs up The Foody Conversion Calculator - HANDY LINK!

Bear with me girlies - because no doubt when i will be making additions of my recipes to this wonderful forum, you will all be befuddled and confuzzled with the weights that i will be using ... I get all confuzzled when i see "US cups"

So - in order to keep us all straight in line and non confused when it comes to finding, or trying out recipes from other continents that have unfamiliar weights and measures - this link will be useful for all http://thefoody.com/glossary/convert.html

Old 01-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Administrator

I've stickied your thread so that it remains at the top of the forum listing; I just know we're going to need it here!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:58 AM

Default US cups=common cupcake

Hi kitten, welcome to the forum. I have the opposite problem with international weights and measures...metric units, though in principle "logical", resemble nothing in nature or the common US household. I can never remember or mentally picture them because they resemble nothing "real" or "relevant" to me; perhaps that is why efforts at having the US "go metric" failed miserably (to my relief). I can help you remember what a "US cup" looks like: it is approximately the same volume as the bottom (part covered by paper) of a common cupcake! (Perhaps that is the origin of the name "cupcake"?)
Old 01-05-2010, 05:58 AM
Cupcake Crafter

Location: Stuttgart, Germany - but do not let that confuse you - I'm English!

Ooo Laura ... that's an interesting fact. Cupcakes and Cups ... well it all becomes clearer to me now! I have been born into the metric system, and in the UK we still use pounds and ounzes for peoples weight, and also we drive in miles (not kilometres like the other europeans do) so I have the hang of quite a few measures ... but the US cap really did confuse me at first - but your explanation has helped me visualise it without going to the conversion page! Thanks