Cupcake Forum

Go Back   Cupcake Forum > Cupcakes > Fun Cupcake Ideas

Old 08-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Batter Beater

Default Big vs Regular vs Small Cupcakes

Do you prefer eating big cupcakes? The ones that you can't fit in your hands? (that's no cup!) I still love the good old regular ones, although I have to admit the tiny ones are too cute to resist!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Better Baker

I too prefer the regular sized ones. The small ones are cute, but I don't have the right size of tin to make my own. I also don't have the tins for making a giant cupcake, but it's something I'd maybe consider for a party or something. It would be way too big for one person!
Old 08-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Better Baker

I personally enjoy the big cupcakes, although I agree with you about the tiny ones. Those are best for snacks, a quick scoop and shoot into the mouth.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Taste Tester

For eating, I love tiny ones. I feel less guilty about indulging and if different flavors are available I feel better about trying two or three of them.

For baking, as a pretty much total newbie, I stick to the regular sized ones and hope for the best
Old 08-21-2013, 03:12 AM
Batter Beater

I cannot stand those oversized cupcakes.They are way to big for a single person and are sometimes dry. For parties I think thee mini cup cakes are the perfect size. Often at parties people do not like to walk around with a full size cupcake , the minis are the perfect bite and portable.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:25 PM
Better Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDN View Post
I cannot stand those oversized cupcakes.They are way to big for a single person and are sometimes dry. For parties I think thee mini cup cakes are the perfect size. Often at parties people do not like to walk around with a full size cupcake , the minis are the perfect bite and portable.
I agree, sometimes the large ones are dry, but I must admit, Costco has big cupcakes and they are very moist and delicious.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:18 AM

Default I've got mixed feelings

I grew up in a simpler time when the big (regular-sized) cupcakes were the only option. But back then everything from sodas to dinner portions was smaller, and fat kids were exceptions, not rules. That said, the little mini cupcakes are a good idea if you want something sweet, but are trying to limit your caloric/cholesterol/chocolate intake. And investing in the proper pans for them is one of the less frivolous kitchen-gadgetry expenditures around (trust me, my mother owns every kitchen gadget known to man) because it's not something you can do with just a little more work or the equipment/pans for something else.
Now, about those giant cupcake pans sold by some mail-order companies: as far as I'm concerned, they are strictly a "novelty"/joke item. If it's the size of a regular cake, it no longer qualifies as a cupcake.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Batter Beater

Default Torn

It would be hard to say which one I'd prefer considering the fact that they all serve their separate purposes, all which have been mentioned in previous comments. The giant cupcakes however, I agree are not really cupcakes they are just a cake with a cute design, it's not like any one person is going to attempt to eat them; cupcakes are meant for a single individual, so therefore a giant cupcake doesn't qualify.
The mini cupcakes are great for snacking, and do work great for parties as mentioned earlier, just pop in your mouth and continue going; however, when they are mini people tend to eat a lot more, and you could run through your supply quickly whereas with a regular sized more likely than not people are only going to have one. Regular sized cupcakes I feel add more to the theme and decoration. You can decorate mini cupcakes but with a lot less detail because your working space is a lot smaller, therefore limiting your abilities to be creative.
I don't agree with the comment mentioned earlier about the larger cupcakes being dry, they vary widely by brand, ingredients, and time-so therefore you can't really say that just because the cupcake is bigger means that it's going to be dry.
All in all however, I think regular sized are the ones for me in most cases, nothing is better than a moist cupcake that's more than a bites worth, leaving your sweet tooth satisfied.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:31 PM
Cupcake Artist

Default individual cupcake pieces

new silicone oven safe baking cups used here for smaller serving cupcake pieces
Old 08-16-2015, 02:20 AM
Better Baker

Thumbs up

i prefer to eat big and small cupcakes because all of them is my favorites